On behalf of the Pastoral Staff, Officers, and Members of the Oakwood University Church (OUC), we would like to extend a special welcome to our visiting friends today. We do hope you enjoy your Worship Experience, and please come again.
Adventist Youth Society (AYS) Program
Our new and exciting AYS season begins this evening, June 15 at 6:00 pm. Join us this evening for the "Haves and the Have Nots." Please come out and support our yout.
Congratulations to our Senior Pastor, Dr. Carlton P. Byrd, on receiving the 2012 South Central Conference “Pastor of the Year” Award, which has been named the “C.E. Dudley Pastoral Leadership Award.” Our continued prayers are with Dr. and Mrs. Byrd & Family.
Church Choir Rehearsal Schedule
Choir Rehearsal Date/Time
Youth Choir Sabbath, June 15, immediately following Divine Worship
Church Chorale Wednesday, June 19, at 6:00 pm
Voices of Inspiration Wednesday, June 19, at 6:00 pm
Children’s Choir Wednesday, June 19, at 6:15 pm
Oakwood Adventist Academy
- Save the Date!!! On Sabbath, August 10, Oakwood Adventist Academy Alumni (OAAA) Day will be held and hosted here at the Oakwood University Church. Please plan to be in attendance for the wonderful program that is being planned for the entire day inclusive of Alumni honorees, special music by our Alumni and present school choirs, old fashioned Alumni concert, and the dedication of the newly renovated Elementary School Building. For more information, please see Everett Roper, OAAA President.
- Registration is ongoing for student enrollment for the 2013/14 school year at Oakwood Adventist Academy. Program offerings are available for Pre-K through Grade 12. Please note the implementation of our new Pre-K Program. If you want your child(ren) to matriculate in a newly constructed building, be taught by fully certified faculty, participate in extracurricular activities including music, sports, and allied health programs, and be nurtured in a Christian environment, then Oakwood Adventist Academy is for you. For more information, please contact the School Office at 256.726.7010.
Building Maintenance - Foyer Carpet Renovation
Please join us in our next Church Renovation Project which is the installation of new carpet in our church foyer (lobby). Recognizing that God’s house should reflect the splendor of our God, it is necessary that we address this building maintenance need. All are invited, encouraged, and needed to join in this initiative as the minimum goal is $150.00 per person. All donations are sincerely welcomed and appreciated. In addition to your normal tithe and combined budget offering, please make your contribution and kindly mark your offering envelope, “Carpet Renovation.” Thank you very much for your support.
If you will reach the age of 90 this year, kindly contact Dr. Jessie Godley Bradley as preparation for the Nonagenarian Day Celebration to be held on August 3 has begun.
Elder’s Meeting will take place next Sunday, June 23, at 10:00 am. ~ Elder Richard Long
Car Care Demonstration
The Family Life Department, New Member Ministries, and Deacon Board cordially invite you to attend an informative and potentially cost saving Car Care Demonstration on Sunday, June 30, from 10:00 am to 12:00 (Noon) here at the Oakwood University Church. While this workshop will be conducted at no cost to participants, registration is necessary. For more information, and/or to register, please contact Linda McClellan (256.289.1545).
- Dear OUC Family: Thank you for all the prayers and expressions of kindness. I will continue, with God’s help, to regain my strength. The beautiful plant will be a special reminder of your love. ~ Carole Washington
- Thank you OUC Family for the beautiful floral arrangement and expressions of sympathy following the loss of my mother, Nancy Elizabeth O’Neal. We appreciate your love and support. ~ Marilyn and Ronald Lang
- Thank you OUC Family for the flowers, prayers, telephone calls, and concerns during the recent hospitalization and nursing home rehabilitation for my husband, Robert Hines. Your love has sustained us. Please continue to pray for us. ~ Beverly Hines
- To Dr. Carlton P. Byrd and my OUC Family: Thank you for your hospital visit. I feel especially blessed to be a member of the OUC. My church family has prayed for me, brought me delicious food, beautiful flowers, and cards. God has delivered and I am healing! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! ~ Jan Ross
Religious Liberty Emphasis
Please plan to be present on Sabbath, July 6, for our special Religious Liberty Emphasis. Plan to come out to a spirit-inspired panel discussion on Sabbath evening at 6:00 pm. A panel of scholars will present interesting analyses of Religious Liberty and engage the audience in a discussion on “What is liberty and how do we determine truth?” All are invited.
- The Photography Class trip to Colorado is scheduled for September 22-27, 2013. Please note that the Photography Class has been canceled for this week.
- The Festival of Sukkot will take place September 15.
- The Southern Union Women’s Conference will be held September 5-8, 2013 in Charleston, SC. The “Early Bird” Discount is available before June 27.
- Please identify your “shower gifts” for New Beginnings and the Women’s Shelter.
Prayer Meeting will be held this Wednesday evening, June 19, at 7:00 pm. Please plan to be present, and kindly invite your friends and family to join us. Remember, the “family that prays together, stays together.”
Jesus once told a parable abut two men - one extremely rich, and the other extremely poor. The rich man enjoyed the best of everything. The other man, Lazarus, had nothing. His only companions were the mangy dogs who licked his sores, and his only comfort were the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. The rich man may have thought he was doing his duty by simply letting Lazarus eat leftovers from his table, but God required more. The rich man had the resources to relieve Lazarus’ suffering, but he did next to nothing. Remember, our salvation is by grace, which means it doesn’t depend on how much or how little we do for those who are less fortunate than we are, but sharing our resources with those who have less than we do is an indication that we have been touched by God’s grace, that He has given us a heart to minister to “one of the least of these” (Matthew 25:40). This too, is what it means to be a faithful steward. May God bless us today as we return our Tithe and Combined Budget Offering to Him as we thank Him for His grace.
The following are dietary controls designed to assist in reducing cancer risk in men: limit the intake of fatty foods, eat more whole grains and green leafy vegetables, reduce or avoid the use of meat and dairy products (milk, eggs, and cheese), avoid the use of coffee, alcohol, and tobacco, and keep one’s weight within recommended levels for age, height, and BMI.”
The Bereavement Support Fellowship Potluck will be hosted today, June 15, at the home of Geraldine Reid. For further information and directions, please contact Ava Mapp (256.929.1182). Please also note that the scheduled “Garden Walk” has been postponed until further notice.